After an unexpected week back home due to a death in the family, I have naturally been evaluating life, what it means and what I want from it. These thoughts and questions have arisen following the death of my Uncle Laurence, an undoubtedly memorable character and someone I found I could identify with based on his exuberant lifestyle and outgoing attitude to life. He was somewhat of an inspiration, always a truly fantastic host and a great advocate of travelling. He travelled the world and had the stories, journal, keepsakes and people he met along the way to prove how travelling can shape you as a person.
It was good to be home, despite the circumstances. Having something stable is the crucial part of what makes a home. While I move around, I can set up little pieces of home everywhere I go but they don’t last long enough to fulfil the true meaning of the word. On the other hand, some places are easier to settle in than others; while I quickly considered Finland as a second home, or Hungary because of my au pair family, I have not yet had this feeling about Austria. The only other fundamental factor that exists, as I have hinted, is the people – it’s the people that really define what home is. Family. Those you love.
My mum recently shared a
quotation with me; “There are
people who come into your life as blessings and there are people who come into
your life as lessons.” I have been thinking about this ever since she said it and
it has helped me make sense of some things. Returning to Austria after a week
at home with my family has been rather difficult, especially as I’m living
alone here. I have found that people are the real substance to life and I would
like to take the example from my late uncle and appreciate that. I am sure I
don’t show enough gratitude to my family and friends but I can honestly say
that I am so thankful to have them. Of course, it is times spent alone that you
realize this the most and times spent together are often taken for granted but
with these reminders about the fragility of life, it’s worth taking a
sentimental moment to acknowledge them.
As a side note, there is another family member who is a surprisingly strong
influence: the dog, Sandy. Sandy is 9 years old and has a personality of his
own that you can’t help but warm to. My dad told me the recent story about
Sandy’s efforts to accommodate to the life of a human being. At 5 or 6am, he
opens my brother’s bedroom door; no response. He opens the door to my parents’
room; no response. After trying his best to find someone to let him outside,
without actually having to wake someone up, he ends up peeing in bathroom. He
did everything but speak. If you have ever seen the movie 'Marley and Me' - that's Sandy. He's a loving, loyal yellow labrador who can recognise the mood and feelings of his human companions and can sometimes be the best friend to have.
In the end, there is nothing like going home and the longer I’m away the more I appreciate it. It doesn’t matter how much I move around, I know I can always go home and it was reassuring to realize this last week at a time when it was needed most.

No comments:
Post a Comment