![]() |
| Pic: My fave Kambly biscuits |
All of these luxuries of course come at a price and
Switzerland also manages to live up to its reputation of being incredibly
expensive. This, for the most part, is true. However, I’m lucky because having
a Swiss boyfriend means I usually don’t need to spend much and he knows all the
tricks and tips. We have visited many places in Switzerland together, including
Bern of course, Geneva, Zurich, Zermatt (where the Toblerone mountain is in the
Alps), Luzern, Murten, Thun, and many more!
However, until very recently, I had never been to a cinema
in Switzerland. This was mainly because it is ridiculously expensive, but we
had an excuse to go this time as Tom’s friends invited us and we had free
tickets! It was a silly, easy-to-watch movie that I’m glad we didn’t pay for!
Nevertheless, it was interesting for me because I found it so strange that in a
standard 90 minute movie, they have a break in the middle. Perhaps it’s a good
idea during longer movies, like Titanic or Lord of the Rings, but I don’t
really find it necessary during a 90 minute movie. It is just convenient for
those with weak bladders, hunger or a need to smoke.
I have spotted a little Swiss-ness here in Vienna,
especially at the Christmas markets. The cheese stalls have an area dedicated
to Swiss cheese, typically Emmental (yes, that’s Swiss, don’t trust Lidl.) It’s
great when they also offer samples and I can have a taste of Switzerland in
Austria. It’s a pity they don’t do the same with chocolate.
There is a great variety of Christmas markets here in Vienna, from huge, tourist-filled ones; to cute, cosy, wee Christmas markets. So far, I have been to a mixture of both at the town hall, the Rathaus; an old, traditional, festive market at Freyung; a student-filled market at the university campus that was previously a hospital, the Altes AKH; and in the local Weihnachtsmarkt in my district, set in the lovely surroundings of a park with ponds and fountains, the Türkenschantzpark. There are countless Christmas markets here and I would still like to see a few more of the main ones at Karlsplatz, Spittelberg and Schönbrunn. I’m glad there are still a few weeks to conquer them! Each of them have something unique to offer and there are many varieties of Punsch on offer (a rum-based punch with different flavours to choose from, such as orange, Bailey’s or raspberry), as well as Glühwein, which is a kind of mulled wine.
Such festive markets create a wonderful atmosphere where I
feel Christmas can really be enjoyed with people and laughter. Of course, the
real Christmas joy is evident in very excitable children and the kids at the
school where I’m working provide no exception. As Advent approaches, everything
is almost revolving around Christmas and the Weihnachtsfeier evenings when they
will perform in front of their parents. I’m involved in several of these as
well, as the teachers are eager for the children to recite a poem or sing a
song in English. I’m also quite excited to see how they turn out.




No comments:
Post a Comment