Friday, January 17, 2014

Addiction to the ‘Busy Trap’



If I don’t have travel plans, I make travel plans. Or any plans really. Maybe it’s just the feeling of being busy that is addictive but the moment you sit down you realize you’re actually exhausted. Yet you get right back up again, after barely any rest, to continue life in the ‘busy trap’. 

I have recently been advised by those close to me to settle down and take some time for myself. Time to rest. Time to relax. I seem to be unaware of how to do that. Maybe I need people or things to keep me busy to prevent some kind of blues or loneliness from brimming. Maybe I just take heed of the advice, ‘travel while you’re young’ or ‘do these things while you still can,’ a bit too seriously. Nevertheless, I try just to take each day as it comes and these days I try to rest when I feel my body telling me to, usually when I start to feel a bit under the weather. 


The way I see it, life happens, regardless – and it’s best to just go with it!


I have learned a lot about adapting to new places, new people and new environments. I have learned to become a more flexible individual and embrace the curveballs that life offers when things don’t go to plan. I try to find a balance when it comes to planning. It is in my nature to think ahead, to make plans; it’s a big part of my job. But teaching on Comenius, and living abroad in general, has woken me up to the fact that sometimes it doesn’t matter how much you plan, it just doesn’t work out how you had anticipated. And that’s ok. The main thing is to remain flexible and be able to adapt.


I had a meeting today regarding my new job that starts in March – I will teach a fourth grade class (9-10 year olds) as part of a job share, meaning I will work 4 days a week in my Comenius school and one day a week in this new school. In the meeting, the word ‘flexible’ came up so frequently that it has become the latest buzzword. We have to be flexible and in order to do that, we must communicate. I now have to coordinate between two schools, eight classes, seven teachers and around 170 children. The only way to do that is to work together with my colleagues and communicate as much as possible with each other – verbally, via e-mail or text, by phone, with post-it notes or whatever way is necessary! Thank goodness the staff at the new school are amazingly organised and incredibly helpful; after my first meeting with them I already feel like part of the team.


In my new job, I will take on the responsibility of teaching English grammar and science to the fourth graders during their last four months in primary school. I found out today that the main science topic I have to teach is the human body. Those who know of my ‘soldier theory’ will immediately wonder how on earth I’m going to manage to teach this topic! The Principal of the school even showed me the stunning, model skeleton she displays in her office which I may have the privilege of using in my lessons. I’ve never been great at biology myself, mainly because I’m a fainter. However, I’m certain that I will find a way to stay in control and teach this topic as well as I possibly can. The human body is a fascinating subject after all. 


On that note, with every job comes what you’re supposed to do, and what is actually, practically feasible. I know I’m supposed to teach a class the topic of ‘family’ in English but they are 2nd grade (7 years old) and speak German, not English; there are several crazy, disruptive kids in the class; and that’s not to mention those with learning difficulties that have to be taken into consideration. This is the job of a teacher. At the end of the day, there is always a way to connect with every child, to motivate them, to find their interest, what they’re passionate about and use that to tap into their potential to learn anything. As I’ve mentioned, though, that’s easier said than done.


It’s interesting to see the difference in the children now that they are aware that I know much more German than I did at the beginning. At first, they thought they could say whatever they wanted and I wouldn’t understand. However, they also realized that they couldn’t talk to me in German and would have to find another form of communication (et voilà: step in, English!) Now, though, it’s a bit too easy for them to rely on German when they know I can understand most of what they say. It was almost better when they could use it as their own ‘secret’ language. Nevertheless, I’m planning to continue learning their language and encouraging them to use mine!


In fact, I just started my new German course this week in the University of Vienna, Universität Wien. It already seems to differ in many ways to my previous course in terms of the greater quantity of homework to do, as well as tests and a more serious approach to language learning. After all the fun I had in my last course that helped build my confidence and fondness of German, I think I’m ready to take on the challenge of a more serious course. My favourite new word in German is 'Freizeitstress' which literally means 'free time stress' or leisure stress. Organising your free time can be stressful, according to German-speakers. Perhaps this is something I'm beginning to identify with as I try to divide my time appropriately between the people involved in my life... but I would like to use this term just jokingly and not let it turn into real stress!

With all of these productive, professional things going on, I will also somehow squeeze in a weekend in Paris next week and ten days in Finland at the beginning of February, followed shortly afterwards by a weekend trip to Salzburg. I told you, it's the 'busy trap' - and it's addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment