It’s been a while since I’ve written a blog post and I had
intended the next one to be detailing some Austrian/Viennese quirks I’ve
observed, but I believe that will have to wait. Now it’s almost the end of
October, the clocks have changed, the darkness is setting in, winter is looming
and this month
has flown in!
| Picture: The Autumn view over Vienna from Kahlenberg. |
This is the first time ever that my parents are dealing with
an empty nest – now both my brothers and I have all flown the nest; flown
rather far in fact. I’m the only one remaining in Europe. It’s weird to
think that next time I’ll be home neither of my brothers will be there. Still,
this makes for interesting conversations with them now that we can share travel
stories!
Between my days in the school, my German course, tandem
meetings, tutoring and my actual, social life, it’s not really surprising that
October seems to have flown by so quickly! I have had a few hiccups with the
school regarding the contrasting expectations of my mentor and the school, and I have found the situation
rather complicated and confusing. I won’t go into details but, briefly-speaking,
it complicates matters that the Comenius application was made on behalf of the
school by a parent. As a result, an agreement was made between the parent and
the school that half of my Comenius hours would be spent in the class of the
daughter of the parent. It is confusing for me as I get the impression that the
school are indifferent with regard to my presence there and have just accepted
it as a compromise with this particular parent.
| Picture: Enjoying time outside of school! |
After a Comenius Induction Meeting this week at the Austrian
National Agency, I realised while listening to the experiences of other Comenius
Assistants and mentors, that my situation is not normal. I came away with the
energy and optimism to improve it. I have ideas and if the teachers manage to
find time to discuss them with me, I hope I will have a chance to implement
them. At the moment, time is not in my favour but with any luck, I will find a
way.
However, I have established that the school is not my
priority for my time as a Comenius Assistant. Since I have already trained as a
teacher, much of the experience in the school is not shockingly new for me.
Rather, I find the language is the main priority here. That, as well as culture
and travel. And of course addressing something of a crossroads in my career: to
teach or not to teach – that is the question. A question I have not yet found
the answer to.
![]() |
| Picture: Venue of World Press Photo. |
In the meantime, I have been enjoying the endless
possibilities of Vienna by exploring the vineyards of Kahlenberg; admiring the
night view of the city from the 12th floor of the hospital (an
unexpected treat!); availing of Thomas’s idea to check out the World Press
Photo 2013 exhibition with the prize-winning journalist photos of the year (the
first prize picture taken in Syria); as well as
| Picture: Belvedere Palace and beyond with Laura. |
Speaking of Hungary, it has also been great to catch up with
my au pair family this month – once
for Hanga’s birthday, she turned 4, and
once for a spontaneous meeting in Laxenburg. I never even knew Laxenburg
existed until I jumped at the opportunity to meet them there, 45 minutes after
receiving a call about it. It is a beautiful place, just south of Vienna with
stunning gardens and an impressive castle. I hope I can return again, perhaps
in the spring and really spend a whole day there.
| Picture: With two thirds of my au pair family in Laxenburg. |
Now I have just returned to Vienna after spending a long
weekend back in Finland. I had already planned prior to my acceptance for
Comenius to return to Finland for the Turku Open 2013 debating tournament, as a
member of the organising committee. First, I flew to Helsinki and spent a
magical evening catching up with my gorgeous friend Eni, treating ourselves to
some delicious cakes from
a top patisserie where Eni is training to become a
chef. That’s a lifestyle I could get used to!
![]() |
| Picture: Heavenly cake treats. |
After that, two days where spent in Turku for the tournament
– two crazy days when things didn’t really go to plan but we rolled with it
anyway! I was so glad to also have Thomas there as he has the incredible
ability to remain calm in otherwise stressful situations. It was a short time
to spend in Turku, and jam-packed with activity without much time to devote to
those I really wanted to see, but it was absolutely worth it. It was like I had
never been
away and confirms in my heart and mind that I definitely made the right decision to study my Master’s there, judging by the amazing people I met during that time.
The last full day was spent back in Helsinki for Thomas’s
birthday and it was just the kind of day we needed. Time to be together and
relax. And finally, to take advantage of the best part of Finnish culture that we
miss the most – sauna! How I will make it through the Austrian winter without
this, I have no idea. The Finns know how to cope with winter and I maintain
that the day I have my own place, it is certain that it has to have a sauna. That's it for now - I hope in the next post I can reflect on those promised Austrian/Viennese quirks!




No comments:
Post a Comment