Natürlich (one of my favourite words in German), being
immersed in a new language is the best way to learn, but also overwhelming. It
surrounds me everywhere, every day. Some of it is conscious, some of it isn’t.
I work with German-speaking primary school classes for 16 hours a week. I spend
9 hours per week in a Deutsch Integrationskurs spread over three evenings. For
the time in between I am influenced by the German language everywhere I go, I
send some messages in German, I’m finding German movies to watch and I have
spent the last two weeks setting up tandem meetings with many different people.
I’m not particularly used to teaching or speaking English to
absolute beginners. The children in the classes I'm with tend not to respond, or at least not as
quickly, to instructions and can become restless very easily if they don’t
understand. These are completely understandable reactions when listening to a
language they don’t really know. Managing a class with this kind of language
barrier can be a challenge. But some of them, mainly the younger ones, are
clearly eager and interested to learn and with them it is a joy to tap into
their enthusiasm. For the others, I can only try through movements, gestures,
songs and visuals to connect with them, and work together with the teacher when
translation is necessary.
Meanwhile, I attend a German course to add some structure to
my own learning. As it is an A1+ course, I’m not starting from the absolute
beginning but have some basics in mind that need refreshing. The first class
started straight in with the perfect tense and I was glad that I found the
level to be rather suitable for me. I was also relieved not to be the worst in
the class! I find myself gaining more confidence to try to speak and caring
less about the mistakes I inevitably make (especially with the articles: der,
die, das… ein, eine, einem, einen…ahh!) To supplement the course, I have also taken up
language tandems.
I knew from living in Finland the possibility of using
Tandem meetings to improve language learning. I had never availed of the
opportunity there but here I decided to give it a chance, not only to practise
some German but also to meet new people. It serves the purpose well. I posted a
short message on the bulletin board of the language centre of the University of
Vienna stating that I would be interested in a “language swap” – I can offer
English in exchange for German. Surprisingly, I received many, many responses
and have a list of possible Tandem partners reaching double figures. Apparently
many people want to improve their English speaking skills!
Each tandem meeting I’ve had so far has been in a different café in Vienna. I truly believe that I could spend every day here in a different café and I still wouldn’t make it through them all – it is astounding and it’s easy to enjoy exploring the Viennese café culture. The meetings are very informal, usually just meeting for a chat or taking a walk around the city. Some of the conversation is in English and some in German. In the situations where our speaking skills are of a similar match then I’m forced to speak more German, which can be frustrating when I can’t find the words I want to say but it helps me improve by practising. Most people will understand this feeling.
Recently, I met with a Tandem couple (Austrian guy,
Lithuanian lady) to experience the Lange Nacht der Museen together. This was a
special cultural evening in the city when all of the museums are open from 6pm
to 1am and you can gain entry to all of them with just one ticket costing 11€
(student price – I’m still managing to take advantage of my Finnish student
card.) Although the possibilities seemed endless with so many different kinds
of museums in Vienna, we spent most of the hours in the National History
Museum. It is an incredibly huge, impressive, old building with millions of
items; you could easily spend the whole day there!
With all of these experiences with the German language I
sincerely hope that the improvement will continue. I’m well aware though that I
need to keep practising as much as I can in order not to lose it. And I have a
fragile memory, given that I have many temporary influences in my life, never
staying in one place too long, always meeting new people … learning a new
language is a delicate process that I hope to nurture. Ist Deutsch leicht oder
schwer? Is German easy or difficult? What do you think?

No comments:
Post a Comment